Detroit Bus Accident Attorneys
Buses are an invaluable resource for our communities when it comes to decreasing the number of vehicles on the road, lowering our impact on the environment, and ensuring everyone has access to transportation. However, due to the sheer size and weight of these massive motor vehicles, they are undoubtedly a dangerous threat to others when involved in an accident. It is the responsibility of the bus company and the bus driver to ensure pristine vehicle conditions and passenger safety at all times. When these needs are not met and an accident occurs, the risk of injury or even worse, death, increases significantly. Though nothing can make up for the suffering you’ve experienced because of a bus accident, we can help bring you the relief you need after this tragedy.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bus accident in the Detroit area, you are not alone. An accomplished Detroit bus accident attorney at Ravid & Associates, P.C. will research the cause of your accident and will fight for you and your loved ones in the courtroom to get the outcome you deserve.
With over 180 years of combined experience helping more than 10,000 families in the state of Michigan, our seasoned attorneys are well-versed in personal injury cases and the variety of details that make each case unique. We treat each case with the same care and consideration as the first victim that walked through our doors, and yours is not any different. Don’t wait another minute to reach out to us today so you can get the compensation you deserve after being seriously injured.
Why Do I Need A Bus Accident Attorney?
Those who hire an experienced personal injury attorney often acquire far more from insurance companies than those who do not hire an attorney. A bus accident is a startling and devastating event. You’re going to need help dealing with the physical and emotional consequences after an accident, and you or a loved one could be eligible for compensation for pain and suffering, medical bills, and lost wages that result from an accident.
After you have fallen victim to a major accident, you shouldn’t have to face that battle alone. With our determined legal team, you could obtain up to three times the amount from the insurance company than you would if you were to go at it alone. Give us a call today for advice, support, and a free consultation to review your case.
Why Choose Us?
The legal process is often times very difficult to navigate and figure out on your own. With an experienced trial lawyer who genuinely cares about the case results, the victim of a bus accident is far more likely to claim compensation and feel the relief of justice after the case is taken to court. Our team treats our clients like family, and we won’t stop fighting until we have gotten the justice you deserve.
We have spent our entire careers holding insurance companies accountable when it comes covering injured victims. Our accomplishments include over $350 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Bus Accident Cases We Handle
At Ravid & Associates, P.C. our working knowledge and sincere devotion to what we do means you only have the best team working behind you. We handle an array of cases, and each one provides us with more insight to the many aspects of personal injury law. With this portfolio, you can have the peace of mind that comes from knowing we know what we are talking about. We handle everything from big rig, motorcycle, and bus accidents to drunk driving, wrongful death, and highway defect cases. As it is with these types of accidents, every case is unique. We utilize our working knowledge in a variety of practice areas to supplement the important details that could help to win your case:
- Drunk Driving: While it is illegal for any driver to get behind the wheel after knowingly becoming intoxicated, doing so as a bus driver can be detrimental to more than just other drivers on the road. Bus drivers have a responsibility to their passengers to keep them safe, and drunk driving is the willful negligence of that responsibility.
- Mechanical Defect and Malfunction: When a bus suddenly stops working, the effects can be traumatic. Whether it’s brake failure, tire blowout, engine troubles, or something else, the sudden loss of control can put many peoples’ lives at risk.
- Employer Negligence and Liability: Employers have a responsibility to train bus drivers properly and ensure they are not working longer than industry requires. A fatigued driver is a dangerous driver and an untrained driver is a hazard to themself and everyone else on the road.
- Bus Driver Error: Driver error is quite a broad category, one which can include reckless driving, fatigue, or distracted driving. Bus drivers should be held to a higher standard than nearly anyone else on the road because they are not only transporting many passengers, but their vehicles are large and bulky, designed to protect the passengers inside. An accident with a bus can prove severe or even deadly for another driver.
- Blind Spot Accidents: Due to the sheer size of a bus, blind spots are even easier to slip into. Busses are equipped with extra mirrors and technology preventing an accident in the blind spot, but when a driver fails to use their additional safety precautions to their advantage, accidents can and do happen.
At Ravid & Associates, P.C., we want to help you obtain the justice you deserve post-accident. If you have been hurt in a bus accident, you may be able to obtain the ease that comes with receiving compensation for your losses, medical bills, lost wages, and more. We can’t help unless you reach out, so don’t wait any longer—give us a call today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Following a bus accident, you need answers almost faster than you can ask the questions. For this reason, we’ve compiled some of our most frequently asked questions here so that you can have quick access to the questions people just like you had when they first went through the same experience.
How does Michigan’s No-Fault law apply to a bus accident?
No-Fault insurance is required by law in the state of Michigan. This insurance ensures payment to victims involved in motor vehicle accidents despite whether or not the driver was at fault. Because of this insurance, victims involved in bus accidents are able to make a claim for Michigan No-Fault benefits. These benefits do not include collision coverage, so you must buy collision coverage separately if you want coverage for damage to your car in case of an accident.
It’s vital that you file your claim as soon as possible post-accident. If involved in an accident with a regional transportation authority (SMART, DDOT, CATA, etc.), the Bus Notice Provision requires that the victim submits a notice to the bus company no later than 60 days after the accident occurred.
What do I do after I have been in a bus accident?
After a tragic accident, it can be difficult to think clearly about next steps. The attorneys at Ravid & Associates, P.C. can help answer your legal questions and take the lead when it comes to getting the justice you deserve. When you find yourself trying to navigate the legal system and claim compensation after a bus accident, we are here for you. Below, you will find some important reminders after you have been in an accident:
- File a police report with local authorities
- Seek medical attention immediately if you have sustained injuries
- Document any details or facts about the bus accident
- Educate yourself on the time limits of filing a claim: 60 days for regional transportation authorities (see above for additional deadlines)
- Before signing any papers, speak to your attorney about best practice and strategy for bus accident litigation
Which parties could be held responsible for a bus accident?
Bus accidents are complicated to litigate. Multiple parties can be held responsible for the accident, including:
- The bus driver
- The bus management company
- Bus equipment manufacturers
- Other negligent drivers on the road
- Government entities, if it is a public bus
Speak with one of our qualified attorneys at Ravid & Associates, P.C. to determine who is responsible in your case.
Bus Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation, there are about 300 fatal bus crashes every single year. In accidents with zero deaths, severe injuries and the cost of property damage still has a huge impact on the victims. Some of the most common causes of bus accidents are driver and management oversight, driver fatigue, poor weather conditions, blind spots or “no-zones”, electric-caused fires, other drivers’ carelessness, and left turns at a yield green light.
The Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts (LTBCF) states that “in 2015, 4,311 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, an 8-percent increase from 2014”. From 2009 to 2015, there was a 62 percent increase in the number of injury crashes involving large trucks or buses. The statistics are staggering, and it’s frightening to think that at any unexpected moment any of us could fall victim to a large bus accident.
On a brighter note, buses are an excellent way to cut down on vehicle emissions and save on transportation costs; however, the sheer size and weight of these large motor vehicles can undoubtedly be threatening factors when an accident occurs. The attorneys at Ravid & Associates, P.C. have gone toe-to-toe with large bus companies in Michigan for decades, and victims just like you have found comfort and relief after speaking with our qualified team of professionals about next steps in your case.
At Ravid & Associates, P.C., we’ve been fighting for bus accident victims just like you, and we can give you the individual attention that you need to feel heard and understood. Fill out our online email form or call us today at (248) 948-9696 to talk with one of our experienced team members and learn what we can do to assist you through this challenging time. We are ready to fight for you and your family, and we will work tirelessly to recover every penny we can to help you through your recovery.