How to Avoid Boating Accidents
Spending time on a boat can be a fun and relaxing way to spend time with friends and family. On hot summer days at the lake, alcoholic drinks are often consumed. This, however, can have disastrous consequences when an individual has too much to drink and gets behind the wheel of a boat.
In fact, the probability of death in a boating accident doubles when alcohol is involved. As such, it is imperative that the boat driver does not overindulge on alcohol and that proper safety techniques are observed; doing so can dramatically lower one’s chances of getting involved or even injured in a boating accident.
Boating Safety Tips
The following are a few basic safety tips to keep in mind. Following these rules can ensure that an accident is less likely to occur and that you and your friends/family are able to enjoy your time on the water safely.
- Follow all Michigan boating laws and responsibilities.
- Always wear a personal flotation device / life jacket.
- Enroll in a Michigan boater safety course.
- Do not operate your boat while under the influence of drugs or too much alcohol.
- Do not operate your boat in inclement weather such as heavy rain, strong wind, or lightning.
- Operate the boat at a safe speed.
- Always remain aware of the others around you
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident as a result of another individual’s negligence, it would likely be wise to seek out the legal advice of a skilled personal injury lawyer.
Contact a Detroit Boating Accident Lawyer
If you need legal assistance regarding a personal injury accident, our Detroit personal injury lawyers of Ravid & Associates, P.C., would be more than happy to help you. Contact our offices today by calling (248) 948-9696.